Tuesday, July 9, 2013

4th of July

It is rare that Jake and I are able to spend holidays together as a family.  One of us is usually working.  This year we actually had the 4th off together.  We typically don't like to follow the herd of boaters leaving the marina for a holiday weekend, but this year was different.  We were all pretty excited to be out in the beautiful weather and watch fireworks from the boat. 

We left around 8pm on Tuesday the 2nd and headed for James Island.  It was awesome sailing (motoring) into the sunset.  We had the island to ourselves.  We tied up to a mooring buoy, ate a late dinner while listening to the birds on the island, and crashed for the night.  In the morning, we enjoyed a nice hike and took off for Friday Harbor.

We arrived in Friday Harbor around 1pm on the 3rd and had plenty of room to anchor.  We set the hook using our windlass and new Rocna anchor for the first time. Yay!  We had lunch on the boat and headed for town for ice cream and some shop exploring.  The kids had money burning a hole in their pockets.  Later that night we sat on the boat enjoying a tasty beverage and watched the charter boats attempt to anchor.  It was quite a show.  We also had a front row seat to watch the Coast Guard pull over anything moving coming in and out of the harbor for safety inspections.  This instigated a stop at West Marine the next day for flares.  We had expired ones on board and our new flares in my car at the marina... I guess if the Deception Pass bridge ever collapsed and my car took the plunge into the ever so friendly waters below, I could set off flares for my rescue.  If I were still alive of course.

On the 4th we celebrated by using the word "Merica" whenever we could.  Only in Merica.  This is Merica.  Made in Merica.  You get the point.  I'm not sure why, but it was pretty fun.  Our friends from Skyline Marina joined us in the anchorage.  We all went to the parade together.  It was all fun and games until a small child was run over by a parade vehicle.  After a brief delay the parade resumed and the girl was transported to the medical center with non-life threatening injuries, thank goodness.  The rest of the afternoon and evening was great.  We had a lazy nap on the boat, BBQ on our friend's boat, then watched the fireworks.  They launched the fireworks right in front of us from a barge.  The girls had a great time.  Hannah told me that she wants to live in Friday Harbor.  I asked her why and she said that they have the best, ice cream, candy, toy stores, and parades.  What more could a 5 year old ask for?

We headed home on the 5th.  We made our best effort to sail the whole way and then cursed the San Juans because it was impossible.  We would have great wind for maybe 30 minutes, then turn and it would be blocked by Lopez Island, then pick it up again, then it would die, over and over.  We were excited to get to Rosario Straight because we can always find wind there.  The only problem is that 99.9% of the time it is blowing from the SSE, exactly were we need to go to get back to Skyline.  It was dinner time.  We gave up and motored home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you. Post a comment!